Thursday, June 19, 2014

Some Good Advice from an Academy Award Winner

I never quite got used to the idea that I could pick up the phone and call Academy Award Winner Cliff Robertson and ask him questions about the film business.

In Cliff's Water Mill, NY Home, 2005

Nevertheless, for ten years he was always available to me, and never hesitated to answer my questions, and offer me his assistance.

Naturally I often wondered what it took to win an Academy Award.  Since I was fortunate enough to have arranged many interviews for him, and I was present for quite a few of those interviews, I heard him answer many questions regarding his Academy Award win.



Cliff Robertson as Charly Gordon with Claire Bloom

One constant theme I recall is that from the time he acquired the film rights to the original book Flowers for Algernon*, through the entire filmmaking process, he knew he was the best actor to portray Charly Gordon.  He also knew that everyone he worked with on the project were the best in the industry.

So I learned first hand that good, even magical things happen once we finally decide to become the very best at what we do.

Although I tell everyone I work with that I have no magical powers, I just work hard, smart, and keep an open mind, to produce the best results for my clients, my goal is to be the very best I can be in my work.  So maybe I do have some magical powers afterall!

Are you looking for publicity for your projects?  Then just get back to me, tell me what you have in mind, and let's work some magic!

Here's to your upcoming Academy Award!



Steve Thompson

Thompson Communications
856-942-4434







* I just learned that author Daniel Keyes, Flowers for Algernon, passed away on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment